Home Our Worship Services Our Special Worship Our Church Groups How we do it Our History Getting in touch Our Photo Gallery

Kincardine

Originally probably called Eaglais Thomhaldich and dedicated to one of St Columba’s missionaries, its simplicity, to some extent , indicates its antiquity. The Kirk itself has undoubtedly been renovated on more than one occasion - particularly in the late 19th century but also, one might assume, after its burning down on a fateful day towards the end of the 15th century.

On this day Grants took revenge on their arch enemies/neighbours for the murder of their clan chief. Fleeing Comyns took refuge in the church as a place of sanctuary but a flaming arrow fired from outside set the roof on fire and with it those sheltering inside. Proof, however, of the fact that church  is definitely pre Reformation lies in the Lepers Blink window set at an angle to the altar. Interestingly old maps indicate an old Lepers settlememt nearby. The other piece of evidence is the likely baptismal font lying outside the door to the church which is considered to be pre-reformation and mirrors one to be found in Duthil Kirk

The granite gravestone in the kirkyard is relatively new but is dedicated to Walter Stewart - the first Baron of Kincardine and and a grandson of Robert 11 of Scotland and one of the heroes of the great Battle of Harlaw fought in 1411.  This Stewart Barony remained in existence until the Battle of Culloden in 1745, It was another Stewart - John Roy Stewart, also born in Kincardine, who was one of the heroes of that battle and those under his command fought under the “Green Flag of Kincardine”. It is perfectly conceivable that he too worshipped in this Kirk.

Kincardine has been served in part by a “missionary minister” based in Abernethy or Duthil and in part by its own Minister living in the Manse which was sold in the 1950s as it was ;proving very difficult to find an incumbent. Its interior is relatively plain but the War Memorial on the left hand wall shows just how widely drawn its congregation was - bringing in worshippers from the then populous Tulloch, Kincardine and even Glenmore. It then served a population which lived in very different way to that of today.